Monday, June 8, 2009

The Olivia Tremor Control; Circulatory System

Yeah, it's been a long time since I've used this blog. Those big changes never happened, but there are other big changes in the works now. BETTER big changes.

Anyway, the reason I'm suddenly blogging.. If you're reading this you probably got a cryptic facebook post from me. I made it short and confusing in the hopes that you would say, "Hey, what's this?" And then use Google, or Wikipedia, or YouTube, or whatever other method you fancy to look into it. Because, my friends, I've been sucked into a new and wonderful musical world.

The Olivia Tremor Control was one of the first bands in the group of artists known as the Elephant 6 Recording Company (perhaps more famous for the band Neutral Milk Hotel). Wikipedia's description of "indie-pop, neo-psychedelia, experimental" is as good as any. The Olivia Tremor Control recorded two albums that are reminiscent of psychedelic era Beatles and Pink Floyd while also maintaining their own modern sound. In 2000 OTC disbanded, but forming in their wake was Circulatory System. Composed of most of the main players from OTC, Circulatory System released their self-titled debut, refining their old sound and adding a slightly more electronic edge. Since then CS has been recording and fine-tuning their follow up album. Here we are in 2009, eight years after their debut, and finally Signal Morning is being released, and we're up to speed with where young Alex picks up on all of this.

Signal Morning is one of the best albums I've heard in years. Rarely in my life have I ever fallen so hard for a band, and an album. In fact, all four of the albums I mentioned are stunning, but in my opinion Signal Morning is their masterpiece. This music is unlike anything you've ever heard, and I want everyone I know to listen to it. So to recap:

The Olivia Tremor Control - Music From the Unrealized Film Script, Dusk At Cubist Castle
The Olivia Tremor Control - Black Foliage: Animation Music Volume One
Circulatory System - Circulatory System
Circulatory System - Signal Morning

Excellent, excellent albums, I hope you can all fall in love with them as I have.



This one isn't great sound quality, but it's not awful either. At least worth it for the guy rockin the banjo, and it's one of their best songs.





And here's a song from Signal Morning: http://cdn.stereogum.com/mp3/Circulatory%20System%20-%20Overjoyed.mp3. ENJOY.

No comments: